Saturday, September 22, 2007

Documenting the Progress of Humanity

From where I stand, humanity is progressing pretty rapidly. You'd of course never know this from the headlines! It is a fact of life that bad news make for better viewership and higher ratings. I would like to change that in my own small way. I want to collect news about human progress here so that we can see at a glance how the global arrow of human progress is pointing relentlessly upward.

Just recently there have been many news items about human progress. Just a few off the top of my head:
  • child mortality at an all-time low
  • deaths from US car accident at an all-time low
  • human life-expectancy at an all-time high
  • global wealth at an all-time high
  • global hunger at an all-time low

You get the point. These were just recent headlines and if I asked you, the typical reader, to name any of these, you will likely be hard-pressed to remember any. So now I am off to find permanent links to all these news items!

1 comment:

Gingi said...

Hi Manoj,

This is a great idea for a blog, and I wish you much luck and success. You urge readers to send in news articles and data. However, there is no email address or other feedback mechanism other than blog comments. Could you provide one?