Saturday, September 22, 2007

My Worldview

I am going to put my cards on the table and state my worldview, so that you know where I am coming from. First of all, I am a humanist (a Transhumanist, actually, if it means anything to you) and politically a libertarian (classical liberal, if you prefer).

Here are some of my biases:
  • I believe that life is good.
  • I believe that more life is better.
  • I believe that more money is better.
  • I believe that we humans have an inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
  • I believe that more human empowerment is good.
  • I believe that individual liberty is good.
  • I believe that democracy is good.

Thus my list of news items about human progress will typically include news about

  • more life (longer life-expectancy, reduced mortality, anti-aging breakthrough etc.)
  • more wealth (globally speaking, stock markets, net worth etc.)
  • better technology (communications, prostheses, pills etc.)
  • more democracy (countries voting for the first time, women voting for the first time etc.) etc.

Just so you know...

No comments: